Thursday, July 15, 2010

Look Out Arkansas, Here We Come!

"Do you ever grip the steering wheel so hard that your fingers go numb?".....long pause....."No Momma, I don't."
It's that time of year again. Next week we will be heading out on our long, nerve filled drive to Arkansas. I will be doing all driving this year as a preventative measure to the lossage of digits.
I am especially excited about the trip this year. My Grandpa is celebrating his 90th birthday! As to be expected, the whole family is going all out for the party; gathering old stories, old pictures, and old people. It should be a real happening shin-dig, you know how those 90 year olds like to get down. Grandpa is excited too. He won't straight out say that he is, but he has called every weekend for the past month to discuss sleeping arrangements, which are the same every year....my mom and I sleep in the room with the air conditioner and door. Sounds worse than it is, the living room has a window unit as well. The other guest room, for some reason, was built sans door. Grandpa likes to go to bed around 7pm and get up about 4am. That would be alright if he were quiet. He bangs and clangs around and when you come dragging out of the bedroom he smiles and says "I didn't wake you up did I?".....not planned at all.
Despite the lack of sleep and lack of cool air, I love going to Grandpa's house. My Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins all get together. Sometimes we get to go see other relatives, which is always a delight; we always walk away with something to make fun of for the next few days. I can't figure out how we got to be the only normal family.
Well I can't wait to see everyone next week! I'm sure I'll come back with more than enough to blog about.

3 comments:

  1. Good one! Hope your drive up is smooth!! Can't wait to laugh with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN'T WAIT TILL I SEE YOU AND WANDAKAYBREWERPETTYSMITHSANDERS AND ALL OF THE OTHER FAM AND HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL FUN IN THE WORLD. HAVE A SAFE TRIP!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the part about getting to see "other family".

    ReplyDelete